Influence of Shape Spread in an Ensemble of Metal Nanoparticles on Their Optical Properties
The theoretical basis of the work consists in that the dissipative processes in non-spherical nanoparticles, whose sizes are smaller than the mean free path of electrons, are characterized by a tensor quantity, whose diagonal elements together with the depolarization coefficients determine the half-widths of plasma resonances. Accordingly, the averaged characteristics are obtained for an ensemble of metal nanoparticles with regard for the influence of the nanoparticle shape on the depolarization coefficients and the components of the optical conductivity tensor. Three original variants of the nanoparticle shape distribution function are proposed on the basis of the joint application of the Gauss and “cap” functions.
- V.V. Klimov. Nanoplasmonics (Fizmatlit, 2012) (in Russian) [ISBN: 978-5-9221-1205-5].
- P.M. Tomchuk, N.I. Grigorchuk. Shape and size effects on the energy absorption by small metallic particles. Phys. Rev. B 73, 155423 (2006).
- E.F. Venger, A.V. Goncharenko, M.L. Dmitruk, Optics of Small Particles and Disperse Media (Naukova Dumka, 1999) (in Ukrainian).
- A.V. Goncharenko, E.F.Venger, S.N. Zavadskii. Effective absorption cross section of an assembly of small ellipsoidal particles. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 13, 2392 (1996).
- P.M. Tomchuk, B.P. Tomchuk. Optical absorption of small metal particles. Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 112, 661 (1997) (in Russian).
- R.D. Fedorovich, A.G. Naumovets, P.M. Tomchuk. Electron and light emission from island metal films and generation of hot electrons in nanoparticles. Phys. Rep. 328, 73 (2000).
- L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshits, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Pergamon Press, 1984).
- D.V. Butenko, P.M. Tomchuk. The nanoparticle shape's effect on the light scattering cross-section. Surf. Sci. 606, 1892 (2012).
- S. Tretyakov. XXXXXXXXX. In Nanostructured Metamaterials, European Commission. Edited by S. Tretyakov, P. Barois, T. Scharf et al. (Office of the European Union, 2010), p. XXXX.
- N.I. Grigorchuk, P.M. Tomchuk. Cross-sections of electric and magnetic light absorption by spherical metallic nanoparticles. The exact kinetic solution. Ukr. Fiz. Zh. 51, 921 (2006).
- P.M. Tomchuk, D.V. Butenko. Dependences of dipole plasmon resonance damping constants on the shape of metallic nanoparticles. Ukr. J. Phys. 60, 1042 (2015).
- V.N. Starkov, Constructive Methods of Computational Physics in Interpretation Problems (Naukova Dumka, 2002) (in Russian).
- V.S. Vladimirov. Equations of Mathematical Physics (M. Dekker, 1971).
- V.N. Starkov, M.S. Brodyn, P.M. Tomchuk, V.Ya. Gayvoronsky, A.Yu. Boyarchuk. Mathematical interpretation of experimental research results on nonlinear optical material properties. Ukr. J. Phys. 60, 601 (2015).
- W. Haiss, N.T.K. Thanh, J. Aveyard, D.G. Fernig. Determination of size and concentration of gold nanoparticles from UV-vis spectra. Anal. Chem. 79, 4215 (2007).