Development of a New Humidity Sensor Based on (Carboxymethyl Cellulose–Starch) Blend with Copper Oxide Nanoparticles
We have synthesized a nanocomposite of a new type as a humidity sensor and studied its electric and optical properties. The carboxymethyl cellulose–starch–copper oxide nanocomposite is prepared with different concentrations of copper oxide nanoparticles. The DC electric conductivity of the carboxymethyl cellulose–starch–copper oxide system was tested at room temperature. The results show that the DC conductivity of the blend increases with the copper oxide concentration. The optical properties of the nanocomposite are measured in the range of wavelengths (220-800) nm. The results show that the absorbance of the blend increases with the concentration of copper oxide nanoparticles, whereas the energy band gap decreases. With the purpose to use the system as a humidity sensor, its electric capacitance was measured on different samples in the range of humidity (40-90) RH%. The experimental results have shown that the carboxymethyl cellulose–starch-copper oxide nanocomposite has a higher sensivity in the humidity range (60-90) RH%.
- S. Ashokana, V. Ponnuswamya, P. Jayamurugana,b, Y.V. Subba Rao. Fabrication and characterization of CuO nanoparticles: Its Humidity sensor application. South Asian J. of Engin. and Techn. 1, 11 (2015).
- J. Rakuˇsan, M. Kar´askov´a, A. Ham´acek, J. Reboun, D. Rais, S. Neˇspurek. Humidity sensor based on TiO2 nanoparticles and sodium salt of sulfonated aloh phthalocyanine. In NANOCON 2010. International Conference 2, Olomouc (CZ), 2010-10-12/2010-10-14 (2010).
- G. Naik, S. Krishnaswamy. Room-temperature humidity sensing using graphene oxide thin films. Graphene 5, 1 (2016).
- Zhi Chen, Chi Lu. Humidity sensors: A review of materials and mechanisms. Sensor Lett. 3, 274 (2005).
- Mahdiar Ghadiry, Mehrdad Gholami, Lai Choon Kong, Chong Wu Yi, Harith Ahmad, Yatima Alias. Nano-anatase TiO2 for high performance optical humidity sensing on chip. Sensors 16, 1 (2016).
- I.R. Agool, K.J. Kadhim, A. Hashim. Preparation of (polyvinyl alcohol–polyethylene glycol–polyvinyl pyrrolidinone–titanium oxide nanoparticles) nanocomposites: electric properties for energy storage and release. Int. J. of Plastics Techn. 20, 121 (2016).
- I.R. Agool, K.J. Kadhim, A. Hashim. Fabrication of new nanocomposites: (PVA-PEG-PVP) blend-zirconium oxide nanoparticles) for humidity sensors. Int. J. of Plastics Techn. 21, (2017).
- I.R. Agool, K.J. Kadhim, A. Hashim. Synthesis of (PVAPEG-PVP-ZrO2) nanocomposites for energy release and gamma shielding applications. Int. J. of Plastics Techn. 21, (2017).
- K.J. Kadhim, I.R. Agool, A. Hashim. Effect of zirconium oxide nanoparticles on dielectric properties of (PVA-PEGPVP) blend for medical application. J. of Adv. Phys. 6, 187 (2017).
- K.J. Kadhim, I.R. Agool, A. Hashim. Synthesis of (PVAPEG-PVP-TiO2) nanocomposites for antibacterial application. Mater. Focus 5, 436 (2016).
- M.A. Habeeb, A. Hashim, A. Hadi. Fabrication of new nanocomposites: CMC-PAA-PbO2 nanoparticles for piezoelectric sensors and gamma radiation shielding applications. Sensor Lett. 15, 785 (2017).
- A. Hashim, M.A. Habeeb, A. Khalaf, A. Hadi. Fabrication of (PVA-PAA) blend – extracts of plants bio-composites and studying their structural, electric and optical properties for humidity sensors applications. Sensor Lett. 15, 589 (2017).
- A. Hashim, M.A. Habeeb, A. Hadi. Synthesis of novel polyvinyl alcohol–starch-copper oxide nanocomposites for humidity sensors applications with different temperatures. Sensor Lett. 15, 758 (2017).
- N. Rajeswari, S. Selvasekarapandian, M. Prabu, S. Karthikeyan, Sanjeeviraja. Lithium ion conducting solid polymer blend electrolyte based on bio-degradable polymers. Bull. Mater. Sci. 36, 333 (2013).
- A.M. El Sayed, W.M. Morsi. -Fe2O3 /(PVA + PEG) nanocomposite films. Synthesis, optical, and dielectric characterizations. J. Mater. Sci. 49, 5378 (2014).
- V. Sangawar, M. Golchha. Evolution of the optical properties of polystyrene thin films filled with zinc oxide nanoparticles. Inter. J. Scient. Engineer. Research 4, Iss. 6 (2013).
- R. Divya, M. Meena, C.K. Mahadevan, C.M. Padma. Formation and properties of ZnO nanoparticle dispersed PVA films. Inter. J. Engineer. Research Technol. 3, 722 (2014).
- N.D. Md Sin, M.F. Tahar, M.H. Mamat, M. Rusop. Enhancement of nanocomposite for humidity sensor application. J. Recent Trends Nanotechn. Mater. Sci., Engin. Mater., 15 (2014).
- C. Khatuaa, I. Chinya, D. Saha, S. Das, R. Sen, A. Dhar. Modified clad optical fibre coated with PVA/TiO2 nanocomposite for humidity sensing application. Inter. J. Smart Sensing Intelligent Systems 8, No. 3 (2015).