Structural Changes in the System of Electron States in a Shear-Deformed Layered Crystal
Changes in the structure of electron states in a layered crystal induced by a deformation giving rise to a relative shift of the layers have been analyzed. It is shown that if the deformation force has a low-frequency harmonic component, the period of the deformed lattice changes discretely, and the energy degeneration of the electron states becomes partially eliminated. A space-time deformation removes the energy degeneration for states, whose wave vectors have a component normal to the layer plane and equal to the component of the reciprocal lattice period in the deformed crystal along this direction. It also generates a discontinuity in the functional dependence of the energy on this component. Within a separate time period of perturbation, the energy degeneration becomes eliminated at different time moments, at which the lattice period along the shear direction is a multiple of the shift. The energies within this time interval can be identified with the use of a radio equipment, by detecting the time moments, when the density of electronic states drastically changes.
- G.L. Belen'kii, E.Yu. Salaev, R.A. Suleimanov. Deformation phenomena in layered crystals. Usp. Fiz. Nauk 155, 89 (1988) (in Russian).
- D.M. Bercha, K. Rushchanskii, I.V. Slipukhina, I.V. Bercha. Manifestation of deformation effect in band spectra in crystals with inhomogeneous bonding. Cond. Matter Phys. 6, 229 (2003).
- M.S. Brodin, I.V. Blonskii, Excitonic Processes in Layered Crystals (Naukova Dumka, 1986) (in Russian).
- R.Y. Stakhira, G.D. Danylyuk, Ya.M. Buzhuk. Piezoohotoconductivity spectra and X-ray structural study of layered structures. Novi Tekhnol. 27, 62 (2010) (in Ukrainian).
- I.V. Slipukhina, L.Yu. Kharkhalis, I.V. Bercha. Influence of shear deformations and interstitial impurities on the dispersion laws for current carriers in In4Se3 layered crystals. Nauk. Visn. Uzhgorod. Univ. 19, 14 (2006) (in Ukrainian).
- Y.M. Stakhira, R.Y. Stakhira. Piezophotoconductivity spectra in monopolar semiconductors. Zh. Fiz. Dosl. 2, 376 (1998) (in Ukrainian).
- J.M. Stakhira, R.J. Stakhira, V.P. Savchyn. Concentration mechanism of piezophotoconductivity. Ukr. J. Phys. 50, 588 (2005).
- Y. Stakhira, R. Stakhira. Structure of spectra of timedependent piezophotoconductivity. J. Phys. Stud. 11, 215 (2007).
- Y. Stakhira, R. Stakhira. Mechanism of non-stationary piezophotoconductivity spectrum formation in layered crystals. Ukr. J. Phys. 58, 1159 (2013).
- Y.M. Stakhira, R.Y. Stakhira, V.M. Belyukh. Patent Ukraine No. 108674 (2016) (in Ukrainian).