Role of Double Layers in the Formation of Conditions for a Polarization Phase Transition to the Superradiancestate in the Io Flux Tube
A possibility of the electron phase transition into cyclotron superradiance mode in a vicinity of the Io flux tube foot in the Jovian magnetosphere has been considered. A high power of cyclotron superradiance allows it to be considered as the main mechanism of decameter Jupiter radiation generation in the form of S-bursts. It was found that the downward electron beams emitted by Io are able to create electric double layers in the form of shock waves. Such waves, when moving along the flux tube, accelerate electrons in the magnetosphere. As a result, the temperature of the electron plasma component decreases considerably. The emerging upward electron beams create conditions favorable for the phase transition into the cyclotron superradiance mode to take place.
- T.D. Carr, M.D. Desch, J.K. Alexander. Phenomenology of magnetospheric radio emissions. In Physics of the Jovian Magnetosphere, edited by A.J. Dessler (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1983), p. 226.
- B.P. Ryabov, N.N. Gerasimova. Sporadic Radio Emission of Jupiter at Decameter Wavelengths (Naukova Dumka, 1990) (in Russian).
- N. Krupp et al. Dynamics of the Jovian magnetosphere. In Jupiter: Planet, Satellites, Magnetosphere, edited by F. Bagenal et al. (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2004), p. 617.
- J.T. Clarke et al. Ultraviolet emissions from the magnetic footprints of Io, Ganymede and Europa on Jupiter. Nature 415, 997 (2002).
- J.E.P. Connerney et al. Jupiter's magnetosphere and aurorae observed by the Juno spacecraft during its first polar orbits. Science 356, 826 (2017).
- A.P. Fomina. On the quantum nature of quasi-periodic S-bursts of the decameter emission of Jupiter-Io. Dopov. Nat. Akad. Nauk Ukr. 1, 97 (2001).
- P.I. Fomin, A.P. Fomina. Dicke superradiance on Landau levels. Probl. At. Sci. Technol. 6, 45 (2001).
- P.I. Fomin, A.P. Fomina, V.N. Mal'nev. The superradiation of magnetized electrons and the power of decameter radiation of the Jupiter-Io system. Ukr. J. Phys. 49, 3 (2004).
- V.M. Mal'nev, A.P. Fomina, P.I. Fomin. Polarization phase transition to the superradiance regime of the inverted system of electrons on high Landau levels. Ukr. J. Phys. 47, 1001 (2002).
- O.P. Novak, A.P. Fomina, R.I. Kholodov. Account of the longitudinal temperature in cyclotron superradiance. Probl. At. Sci. Technol. 3, 69 (2013).
- R.H. Dicke. Coherence in spontaneous radiation processes. Phys. Rev. 93, 99 (1954).
- V.V. Parkhomchuk, A.N. Skrinskii. Electron cooling: 35 years of development. Usp. Fiz. Nauk 170, 475 (2000) (in Russian).
- N.S. Dikanskii, V.I. Kudelainen, V.A. Lebedev et al. Limiting possibilities of electron cooling. Preprint IYaF 88-61 (1988).
- D. Montgomery, G. Joyce. Shock-like solutions of the electrostatic Vlasov equation. J. Plasma Phys. 3, 1 (1969).
- M.A. Raadu. The physics of double layers and their role in astrophysics. Phys. Rep. 178, 25 (1989).
- N. Singh, R.W. Schunk. Plasma response to the injection of an electron beam. Plasma Phys. Contr. Fus. 26, 859 (1984).
- V.I. Maslov. Electron beam reflection from the plasma due to double layer formation. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Nonlinear and Turbulent Processes in Physics, edited by V.G. Bar'yakhtar, V.M. Chernousenko, N.S. Erokhin et al. (World Scientific, 1990), p. 898.
- V.I. Maslov. Double layer formed by relativistic electron beam. Plasma Phys. Fus. Technol. 13, 676 (1992).
- V.I. Maslov, V.N. Oraevsky, Yu.Ya. Ruzhin. Ion acceleration in collective fields at electron beam injection from spacecraft. Phys. Scr. 57, 453 (1998).
- V.I. Maslov, I.P. Levchuk, S. Nikonova, I.N. Onishchenko. Occurrence of accelerating field, formation and dynamics of relativistic electron beam near Jupiter. East Eur. J. Phys. 5, 78 (2018).
- V.I. Maslov, A.P. Fomina, R.I. Kholodov, I.P. Levchuk, S.A. Nikonova, O.P. Novak, I.N. Onishchenko. Accelerating field excitation, occurrence and evolution of electron beam near Jupiter. Probl. At. Sci. Technol. 4, 106 (2018).
- I.B. Bernstein, J.M. Greene, M.D. Kruskal. Exact nonlinear plasma oscillations. Phys. Rev. 108, 546 (1957).