Theoretical Model for Negative Differential Conductance in 2D Semiconductor Monolayers
A simple theoretical model of electron heating in a system with two valleys is applied for the first time to describe 2D semiconductor monolayers of the MoS2 and WS2 types. The model is demonstrated to describe sufficiently well the available experimental data on the negative differential conductance effect in a WS2 monolayer. It confirms a possibility to fabricate Gunn diodes of a new generation based on the structures concerned. Such diodes are capable of generating frequencies of an order of 10 GHz and higher, which makes them attractive for many practical applications.
- S. Das Sarma, S. Adam, E.H. Hwang, E. Rossi. Electronic transport in two-dimensional graphene. Rev. Mod. Phys. 83, 407 (2011).
- V.G. Lytovchenko, M.V. Strikha, M.I. Klyui. Modified graphene-like films as a new class of semiconductors with a variable energy gap. Ukr. Fiz. Zh. 56, 178 (2011) (in Ukrainian).
- P. Miro, M. Audiffred, T. Heine. An atlas of two-dimensional materials. Chem. Soc. Rev. 43, 6537 (2014).
- Xinming Li, Li Tao, Zefeng Chen, Hui Fang, Xuesong Li, Xinrang Wan, Jian-Bin Xu, Hongwei Zhu. Graphene and related two-dimensional materials: Structure-property relationship for electronics and optoelectronics. Appl. Phys. Rev. 4, 021306 (2017).
- O.V. Yazyev, A. Kis. MoS2 and semiconductors in the flatland. Materials Today 18, 20 (2015).
- S.M. Sze. Physical Devices in Semiconductors (Wiley, 1981).
- Negative Differential Resistance and Instabilities in 2- D Semiconductors. Edited by N. Balkan, B.K. Ridley, A.J. Vickers (Plenum Press, 1993).
- Jaewoo Shim, Seyong Oh, Dong-Ho Kang, Seo-Hyeon Jo, M.H. Ali, Woo-Young Choi, Keun Heo, Jaeho Jeon, Sungjoo Leem Minwoo Kim, Young Jae Song, Jin-Hong Park. Phosphorene/rhenium disulfide heterojunction-based negative differential resistance device for multi-valued logic. Nature Commun. 7, 13413 (2016).
- Y. Zhao, Z. Wan, U. Hetmaniuk, N.P. Anantram. Negative differenial resistance in graphene boron nitride heterostructure controlled by twist and phonon-scattering [ArXiv: 1702.04435 (2017)].
- G. He, J. Nathawat, C.-P. Kwan, H. Ramamoorthy, R. Somphonsane, M. Zhao, K. Gosh, U. Singisetti, N. Perea-Lopez, C. Zhou, A.L. Elias, M. Terrones, Y. Terrones, Y. Gong, X. Zhang, R. Vajtai, P.M. Ajayan, D.K. Ferry, J.P. Bird. Negative differential conductance and hot-carrier avalanching in monolayer WS2 FETs. Sci. Rep. 7, 11256 (2017).
- V. Lytovchenko, A. Kurchak, M. Strikha. The semi-empirical tight-binding model for carbon allotropes "between diamond and graphite". J. Appl. Phys. 115, 243705 (2014).