Qualitative Analysis of Clustering in Aqueous Alcohol Solutions
The specific features of clustering in the aqueous solutions of monohydric alcohols with concentrations higher than that at the peculiar point are discussed. Clustering is a result of the formation of hydrogen bonds between water and alcohol molecules, the energy of which some-what exceeds the energy of hydrogen bonds in the water-water and alcohol-alcohol molecular pairs. Elementary clusters are assumed to be formed, whose composition is fixed at the solution concentrations lower than that at the peculiar point and changes according to a certain law at higher concentrations. The solution clustering degree was determined as a function of the solution concentration and the temperature.
- I. Prigogine. The Molecular Theory of Solutions (North-Holland, 1957) [ISBN: 5-229-00473-8].
- A.A. Tager, L.V. Adamova. The volumes of mixing of liquids and their importance for the modern theory of solutions. Russ. Chem. Rev. 49, 325 (1980).
- L.A. Bulavin, V.Ya. Gotsul'skii, N.P. Malomuzh, V.E. Chechko. Relaxation and equilibrium properties of dilute aqueous solutions of alcohols. Russ. Chem. Bull. Int. Edit. 65, 851, (2016).
- M.F. Vuks. Light Scattering in Gases, Liquids, and Solutions (Leningrad State Univ., 1977) (in Russian).
- M.F. Vuks, L.V. Shurupova. Light scattering by solutions of propyl alcohols in water and heavy water. Zh. Strukt. Khim. 12, 712 (1971) (in Russian).
- G.W. Beer, D.J. Jolly. Comments on "The scattering of light and phase transition in solution of tertiary butyl alcohol in water". Opt. Commun. 11, 150 (1974).
- L.V. Lanshina, A.I. Abramovich. The compressibility, molecular light scattering, and structure of alcoholic solutions of benzene. Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 79, 608 (2005).
- M.A. Anisimov. Critical Phenomena in Liquids and Liquid Crystals (Gordon and Breach, 1991).
- D. Subramanian, J.B. Klauda, J. Leys, M.A. Anisimov. Thermodynamic anomalies and structural fluctuations in aqueous solutions of tertiary butyl alcohol. Vestn. Sankt-Peterburg. Univ. 4, 139 (2013).
- E.S. Balankina. The influence of the size and packing of molecules on the volume-thermal properties of solutions. Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 82, 1104 (2008).
- E.S. Balankina. Theoretical Study of the Relationship "Packing Density–Thermodynamic Properties" in Condensed Systems. Dr. Sci. thesis (Tver' State Univ., 2010) (in Russian).
- V.Ya. Gotsul'skii, N.P. Malomuzh, V.E. Chechko. Features of the temperature and concentration dependences of the contraction of aqueous solutions of ethanol. Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 87, 1638 (2013).
- V.Ya. Gotsul'skii, N.P. Malomuzh, M.V. Timofeev, V.E. Chechko. Contraction of aqueous solutions of monoatomic alcohols. Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 89, 51 (2015).
- V.Ya. Gotsulskiy, N.P. Malomuzh, V.E. Chechko. Particular points of water–alcohol solutions. Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 89, 207 (2015).
- D.I. Mendeleev. Solutions (Izd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1956) (in Russian).
- Yu.I. Naberukhin, V.A. Rogov. The structure of aqueous non-electrolyte solutions (comparative analysis of the thermodynamic properties of aqueous and non-aqueous binary systems). Russ. Chem. Rev. 40, 207 (1971).
- G. Scatchard. Change of volume on mixing and the equations for non-electrolyte mixtures. Trans. Faraday Soc. 33, 160 (1937).
- N.P. Malomuzh, V.N. Makhlaichuk, P.V. Makhlaichuk, K.N. Pankratov. Cluster structure of water in accordance with the data on dielectric permittivity and heat capacity. J. Struct. Chem. 54, S205 (2013).
- M.V. Timofeev. Model of compression of water-alcohol solutions. Zh. Fiz. Khim. 88, 1354 (2014) (in Russian).
- Yu.I. Naberukhin, V.P. Voloshin. Distributions of hydrogen bond lifetimes in instantaneous and inherent structures of water. Z. Phys. Chem. 223, 1119 (2009).
- G.G. Malenkov. Liquid water and ices: understanding the structure and physical properties. Condens. Matter 21, 283101 (2009).
- V.P. Voloshin, Yu.I. Naberukhin, G.G. Malenkov. Percolation analysis of the network of hydrogen water connections: the dyeing of connections on time of life and energy. Struct. Dynam. Mol. Syst. 10, 12 (2011).
- L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz. Statistical Physics, Part 1 (Pergamon Press, 1980).
- Tables for the Determination of the Content of Ethyl Alcohol in Water-Alcohol Solutions (Izd. Standartov, Moscow, 1972) (in Russian).
- G.C. Pimentel, A.L. McClellan. The Hydrogen Bond (Freeman, 1960).
- N.P. Malomuzh, E.L. Slinchak. The cluster structure of dilute aqueous-alcoholic solutions and molecular light scattering in them. Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 81, 1777 (2007).
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (CRC, 1962).
- I.N. Kochnev. Volume effects in alcohol-water solutions. In Molecular Physics and Biophysics of Aqueous Systems (Leningrad State Univ., 1972), Vol. 1, p. 19 (in Russian).