Correlation between Photoluminescent and Photoelectrical Properties of Mn-Doped ZnO
ZnO ceramics undoped and doped with manganese are investigated. The Mn content NMn is varied from 1019 to 1021 cm−3. The photoluminescence (PL), diffuse reflection, and photoconductivity (PC) spectra are measured. The quenching of the self-activated ZnO emission and the appearance of the light absorption and PC are observed in the same spectral region (400–600 nm) under the doping. Simultaneously, a week PL band peaked at 645 nm arose and was assigned to intra-shell transitions in Mn2+Zn centers. Based on the analysis of obtained results, the quenching effect is attributed to the re-absorption of the self-activated ZnO emission by Mn ions. A scheme of electron transitions that allows an explanation of the low intensity of the Mn-related emission is proposed.
- T. Dietl, H. Ohno, F. Matsukura, J. Cibert, D. Ferrand. Zener model description of ferromagnetism in zinc-blende magnetic semiconductors. Science 287, 1019 (2000).
- D. Iuєan, B. Sanyal, O. Eriksson. Influence of defects on the magnetism of Mn-doped ZnO. J. Appl. Phys. 101 09H101 (1) (2007).
- M. Liu, A.h. Kitai, P. Mascher. Point defects and luminescence centers in zinc oxide and zinc oxide doped with manganese. J. Lumin. 54, 35 (1992).
- X.T. Zhang, Y.C. Liu, J.Y. Zhang, Y.M. Lu, D.Z. Shen, X.W. Fan, X.G. Kong. Structure and photoluminescence of Mn-passivated nanocrystalline ZnO thin films. J. Crystal Growth 254, 80 (2003).
- U. Llyas, R.S. Rawat, Y. Wang, T.L. Tan, P. Lee, R. Chen, H.D. Sun, F. Li, S. Zhang. Alteration of Mn exchange coupling by oxygen interstitials in ZnO:Mn thin films. Appl. Surf. Sci. 258, 6373 (2012).
- M. Sima, L. Mihut, E. Vasile, Ma. Sima, C. Logofatu. Optical properties of Mn-doped ZnO films and wires synthesized by thermal oxidation of ZnMn alloy. Thin Solid Films 590, 141 (2015).
- M. Godlewski, A. Wojcik-Glodowska, E. Guziewicz, S. Yatsunenko, A. Zakrzewski, Y. Dumont, E. Chikoidze, M.R. Phillips. Optical properties of manganese doped wide band gap ZnS and ZnO. Optical Materials 31, 1751 (2009).
- A.J. Reddy, M.K. Kokila, H. Nagabhushana, J.L. Rao, B.M. Nagabhushana, C. Shivakumara, R.P.S. Chacradhar. EPR and photoluminescence studies oh ZnO:Mn nanophosphors prepared by solution combustion route. Spectrochimica Acta (A) 79, 476 (2011).
- Th.L. Plan. Structural, optical and magnetic properties of polycrystalline Zn1?xMnxO ceramics. Sol. St. Commun. 151, 24 (2011).
- R. Beaulac, P.I. Archer, D.R. Gamelin. Luminescence in colloidal Mn2+-doped semiconductor nanocrystals. J. Sol. St. Chemistry 181, 1582 (2008).
- I. Markevich, T. Stara, L. Khomenkova, V. Kushnirenko, L. Borkovska. Photoluminescence engineering in polycrystalline ZnO and ZnO-based compounds. AIMS Materials Science 3, 486 (2016).
- E. Chikoidze, Y. Dumont, F. Jomard, O. Gorochov. Electrical and optical properties of ZnO:Mn thin films grown by MOCVD. Thin Solid Films 515, 8519 (2007).
- Q. Ma, X. Lv, Y. Wang, J. Chen. Optical and photocatalytic properties of Mn doped flower-like ZnO hierarchical structures. Opt. Mater. 60 86 (2016).
- C.A. Johnson, K.R. Kittilstved, T.C. Kaspar, T.C. Droubay, S.A. Chambers, G.M. Salley, D.R. Gamelin. Mid-gap electronic states in Zn1?xMnxO. Phys. Rev. B 82, 115202 1 (2010).
- T.R. Stara, I.V. Markevich. Influence of Mn doping on ZnO defect-related emission. Semiconductor physics, quantum electronics and optoelectronics 20, 137 (2017).